Create New > From Scratch
When you first install MPG plugin, you will be presented with a choice of creating your first project From Scratch or from several available templates. Most of users would use From Scratch option if there is an available data set in CSV, Excel, or Google Sheets. First, in MPG plugin under “Create New+” let’s hit the “From Scratch” option.
Step 1. Create Project From Scratch
Step 2. Set template
- Set Project name. Name your template so it’s easy for you to recognize what content you are trying to generate. This isn’t visible anywhere else.
- Select entity type. Select the type of content for your template. MPG supports all entity types in your WordPress installation, including posts and pages, but it also supports any custom entity created by your WordPress plugins. Many plugins create custom entities for portfolios, landing pages, ecommerce shop pages, etc. You can generate any of those with MPG.
- Select the template page or entity you wish to use as a template for the generated content. MPG will replace any shortcodes when accessing the site through generated URL accordingly to your source file.
- Optional. Add template URL to robots.txt exclusion. It’s is highly recommended to exclude template page from being indexed by search engines as it contains shortcodes. All generated pages will remain visible.
- Hit Save Changes. “Source” tab will now appear underneath.
Step 3. Load Source Spreadsheet
There are two options of uploading your source file.
Option 1 – Direct link.
- Load any Google Sheet or csv that’s available on the internet. Make sure the file has public access.
- Optional for PRO Users. Select periodicity if you wish to automatically periodically update the Source from the provided URL.
- When Optional for PRO Users. Set how often MPG will fetch the dataset above.
- Optional for PRO Users. Set the date and time when MPG should first attempt to fetch your file.
- Optional for PRO Users. MPG can send a notification each time after it fetches your dataset. It can be on error or every time it fetches.
- Optional for PRO Users. Specify the email which we shall use to notify you, if opted in.
- Press Fetch and use
Option 2 – Upload file.
Hit “Browse” and select xlsx, csv, or o.ds file from your computer which contains your source data.
Step 4. Data preview
Quickly glance at the Data preview. Click “Preview” button to view all of the data collected from your spreadsheet.
Step 5. URL Generation
In this step we will set up the format of the permalinks of our generated pages (i.e. URLs format).
- Enter URL is the field which is used to form your permalinks. Add at least one shortcode from “Insert shortcode” dropdown list. Feel free to separate shortcodes with slash, dash, or underscore, or custom text.
- Select default separator. The default separate will replace any unsupported characters and spaces in your shortcodes when generating URLs.
- Look at URL preview to make sure the formed URL is the desired format.
- Save changes. Click the “URL preview” link to check a sample of newly generated pages. Each row will generate it’s own URL based on the shortcodes specified.
If you have any trouble on the last step and getting a 404, please see Troubleshooting 404.